Medical Benefit Council is an advisory body on matters related to the administration of medical benefit under the ESI Scheme. The council is constituted by the Central Govt. for a specific term and consists of :-
- Director General, Central Health Services(ex-officio Chairman)
- Deputy Director General/Addl. Director General, Central Health Services.
- One member each representing respective State Govts.
- Three members each representing employees, employers and the medical profession.
- Medical Commissioner, ESI Corporation(ex-officio member)
The ESI Act empowers the Medical Benefit Council to advise the Corporation on matters related to developments and improvements in the medical service delivery system.
The constitution of the Corporation, Standing Committee and the Medical Benefit Council are dealt with in Section 4, 8 and 10 of the ESI Act, 1948 respectively. Powers of the Standing Committee and duties of the MBC are given under Section 18 and 22 respectively.